Issues related to Title IX are illustrated in the various lawsuits that have arisen. Be prepared to answer the following questions when we discuss the Boucher v. Syracuse University case:
1. Who are the plaintiffs?
2. Why did the plaintiffs file a lawsuit against Syracuse?
3. What did the plaintiffs allege in their complaint?
4. Why did the plaintiffs try to get “class certification” as part of a class action lawsuit?
5. What happened at the district court (aka trial court)?
6. What are the three “safe harbor defenses” referenced in the first column on page 110?
7. What did the appeals court determine in its discussion regarding lacrosse?
8. What did the appeals court determine in its discussion regarding softball?
9. What did the appeals court determine in its discussion regarding club athletics?
10. Do you agree with the decision reached by the appeals court? Explain.
Be prepared to answer similar (albeit case-specific) questions for the Mercer v. Duke University case.